The Nadig Newspaper reported that the Mayfair Lumber Company was closing after 82 years of operation. It was a family-owned business operating which operated a six-acre site at 4825 W. Lawrence Ave.
John Koenen, purchased the Pennington lumber company in the late 1920’s and renamed it Mayfair.
The Nadig reported that at its peak, Mayfair had about 50 employees and a dozen delivery trucks, and train cars of lumber would enter the yard from a spur off a Union Pacific Railroad line which ran along the east side of the property. The Mayfair once had about 750 train cars of lumber in a year. That’s an almost three per day.